Welsh archives are home to a wealth of treasures – are you ready to explore?
The National Library of Wales is looking forward to being part of the national Explore Your Archive campaign, which this year takes place between 23 and 30 November. As part of the celebrations, archives across Wales are busy preparing exhibits that will showcase their services and collections in a variety of ways.
The national campaign aims to encourage people to discover the stories, facts, places and people at the heart of communities in Wales. A variety of events and activities will be held at the Library during the week to demonstrate the value of archives.
In addition, we will share information about some of our unique archival items in a colorful digital campaign. These items will be on display in a small exhibition at the Library on 29 and 30 November. We will also celebrate the value and knowledge of our archival staff who have, through their diligent work, ensured that the public have access to our items.
On Monday 25 November, one of our most experienced staff members, Sally McInnes, will discuss her career at the Library in her presentation, 30 Years an Archivist: Reflections on a Career at the Library. In the talk she will provide an overview of her experiences and reflect on how the Library has continued to collect, preserve and provide access to its collections. During Explore Your Archive week you'll also get a taste of the work of our archive heroes, keep an eye out on our social media!
Highlights of the week will include a new version of our Escape Room, or LlyfGell 2.0. On Saturday 30 November, we will take brave visitors on a tour of the hidden areas of the Library, where they will be required to solve clues in order to escape from the Gen!
Pedr ap Llwyd, Chief Executive and Librarian at The National Library of Wales, said:
"At the National Library of Wales we have a rich variety of interesting and unique archival collections from people, businesses, groups and organizations that have shaped the history of our nation and beyond. Explore Your Archive week is a colourful campaign that highlights, not only these invaluable materials, but the breadth of services offered in archives across the country. I look forward to welcoming you to the Library during the week so you can explore what archives have to offer."
Rhian James Lanagan, Head of Archives and Manuscripts added:
“Explore is such a fantastic campaign. Archives are treasure troves of information and stories waiting to be explored. Whether a regular or first-time visitor, visiting the Library or your local archive can be inspiring and provides glimpses into the histories of the people and places that have shaped our communities.”
Notes for Editors
Follow our campaign on Facebook: llgcymrunlwales, Twitter: @NLWales and Instagram @librarywales.
To book a slot for our Escape Room visit: events.library.wales
email@example.com or 01970 632 871
- About us
- Work with us
- Press and News
- Press Releases
- 2024 Press Releases
- 2023 Press Releases
- 2022 Press Releases
- 2021 Press Releases
- 2020 Press Releases
- 2019 Press Releases
- Award for Poetry Pamphlets in the Celtic Languages
- Welsh Language Rights Day
- Christmas Shopping at The National Library of Wales
- The National Library of Wales marks the National Lottery #ThanksToYou campaign
- Explore Your Archive Week at the National Library of Wales
- The National Library of Wales to lead on Welsh Wikipedia educational project
- Join The National Library of Wales Board of Trustees 2019
- National Library of Wales Paintings Conservator awarded Fellowship
- Focus on Photography at the National Library of Wales
- Safeguarding Salem for the Nation
- The National Library of Wales in the Digital World
- History of Medicine in Wales
- Tryweryn Memorial a Masterpiece in Schools for 2019
- Appointments to the National Library of Wales’ Board of Trustees
- Llanrwst, Wales and the World: The National Library at the National Eisteddfod
- The Library to purchase Mumph's iconic cartoon collection
- An exhibition to trace Wales’ connection with the ‘New World’
- Gwenan Gibbard awarded Doctoral Scholarship
- Launch of free resources to stimulate memories amongst older people and those living with dementia
- A new exhibition to celebrate Welsh music
- Happy 50th Birthday Sali Mali!
- Wales’s broadcast history secured for the future
- Haverfordwest to host national Treasures
- The Wales Map Symposium 2019 – Humphrey Llwyd: Inventor of Britain
- National Library Escape Room at the Urdd Eisteddfod
- Apprising the achievements of two musicians
- A programme to renovate the iconic National Library of Wales building
- Portrait of Elin Jones AM unveiled
- Literary Atlas artworks arrive at the National Library of Wales
- National Library to raise awareness of vision problems
- ‘Ar Lafar’ festival gives Welsh learners the opportunity to enjoy National Library treasures
- The National Library of Wales support Earth Hour 2019
- Unique Kyffin merchandise to be sold at the London Welsh Emporium
- Inventor of Britain: The Life and Legacy of Humphrey Llwyd
- Future of the National Broadcast Archive
- Join The National Library of Wales Board of Trustees
- Press Releases