The National Library of Wales will be present at the Urdd National Eisteddfod, Cardiff between 27 May and 1 June 2019, with a unit outside the entrance of the Millennium Centre.
On the stand there will be an opportunity for visitors to take part in an exciting challenge – escape room. Those who are brave enough to face the tasks will have to escape out of the Library in less than twenty minutes. To do so, participants will have to discover and solve a series of clues quickly.
The puzzles, which allow contributors to unlock a series of doors, are based on collections held the National Library of Wales. From books to photographs, maps to manuscripts; each task has been constructed using a host of iconic and interesting material from a treasure trove that belongs to the nation. However, the escape room does not examine one’s awareness of Welsh history and culture; escaping depends on logical thinking.
Pedr ap Llwyd, Chief Executive and Librarian at the National Library of Wales said:
"If you want an escape room at the Urdd National Eisteddfod this year, look no further than the National Library of Wales’ unit, where you will have plenty of fun trying to solve mysteries in order to escape. I’m sure that young people from all over Wales will succeed in what I failed to do; escaping in time! It is a real privilege to be part of the Eisteddfod's activities again this year and I wish the festival every success in the Bay."
Rhodri Morgan, Education Service Manager added:
“The escape room mirrors what takes place at The National Library of Wales, the researching of materials and discovering facts. It’s an opportunity, not only to entertain young visitors, but to raise awareness of the Library’s important and varied collections in a creative and innovative way. The Escape Room also provides an opportunity to practice a crucial skill - problem solving.
“We hope to see you on the Library’s stand during the week, you are welcome to come in, but... will you get out?”
The escape room will be open to all throughout the week, with half hourly sessions arranged between 09:30 and 17:00. The activity is free, but applicants must book their slot on the National Library of Wales stand (RH003). Teams of between 2 and 5 participants are welcome to face the challenge, and although there is no need for a parent to be present, they are welcome to take part.
The Library shop will also be present on the stand, giving visitors the opportunity to purchase unique items inspired by the collections of the National Library of Wales at the Urdd Eisteddfod.
Elen Haf Jones
01970 632 534
- About us
- Work with us
- Press and News
- Press Releases
- 2024 Press Releases
- 2023 Press Releases
- 2022 Press Releases
- 2021 Press Releases
- 2020 Press Releases
- 2019 Press Releases
- Award for Poetry Pamphlets in the Celtic Languages
- Welsh Language Rights Day
- Christmas Shopping at The National Library of Wales
- The National Library of Wales marks the National Lottery #ThanksToYou campaign
- Explore Your Archive Week at the National Library of Wales
- The National Library of Wales to lead on Welsh Wikipedia educational project
- Join The National Library of Wales Board of Trustees 2019
- National Library of Wales Paintings Conservator awarded Fellowship
- Focus on Photography at the National Library of Wales
- Safeguarding Salem for the Nation
- The National Library of Wales in the Digital World
- History of Medicine in Wales
- Tryweryn Memorial a Masterpiece in Schools for 2019
- Appointments to the National Library of Wales’ Board of Trustees
- Llanrwst, Wales and the World: The National Library at the National Eisteddfod
- The Library to purchase Mumph's iconic cartoon collection
- An exhibition to trace Wales’ connection with the ‘New World’
- Gwenan Gibbard awarded Doctoral Scholarship
- Launch of free resources to stimulate memories amongst older people and those living with dementia
- A new exhibition to celebrate Welsh music
- Happy 50th Birthday Sali Mali!
- Wales’s broadcast history secured for the future
- Haverfordwest to host national Treasures
- The Wales Map Symposium 2019 – Humphrey Llwyd: Inventor of Britain
- National Library Escape Room at the Urdd Eisteddfod
- Apprising the achievements of two musicians
- A programme to renovate the iconic National Library of Wales building
- Portrait of Elin Jones AM unveiled
- Literary Atlas artworks arrive at the National Library of Wales
- National Library to raise awareness of vision problems
- ‘Ar Lafar’ festival gives Welsh learners the opportunity to enjoy National Library treasures
- The National Library of Wales support Earth Hour 2019
- Unique Kyffin merchandise to be sold at the London Welsh Emporium
- Inventor of Britain: The Life and Legacy of Humphrey Llwyd
- Future of the National Broadcast Archive
- Join The National Library of Wales Board of Trustees
- Press Releases