Tithe Maps Online
Visit Places of Wales to search and browse the tithe maps of Wales and accompanying apportionment documents.
Consulting the documents at The National Library of Wales
The Library holds a set of tithe maps and associated schedules for Wales.
All the tithe maps in the Library have now been catalogued and can be found in the Catalogue. Place names in the map titles often vary from the modern spelling and standardised forms of the names can be found by searching under subject.
Photocopies of both maps and schedules are available on open access in the Reading Room. The originals are not normally issued except in very exceptional cases (e.g. for legal purposes) where an examination of the map colouring or construction is important.
A volume of index maps showing the boundaries of the individual tithe districts is also available in the Reading Room. This is based on a photocopy of the Ordnance Survey’s ‘Index to Tithe Survey’ with the boundaries of the tithe districts highlighted.
For fuller details consult the bibliography below, especially Davies (1999), which provides a comprehensive guide to the maps and schedules held at the Library.
- Robert Davies, The tithe maps of Wales (Aberystwyth, 1999)
- Eric J Evans, Tithes; maps, apportionments and the 1836 Act, Revised Edition (Chichester, 1993)
- Eric J Evans, The contentious tithe: the tithe problem and English agriculture, 1750-1850 (London 1976)
- Roger J P Kain & Hugh C Prince, The tithe surveys of England and Wales (Cambridge, 1985)
- Roger J P Kain, An atlas and index of the tithe files of mid-nineteenth century England and Wales (Cambridge, 1986)
- Roger J P Kain & Richard R Oliver, The tithe maps of England and Wales (Cambridge, 1995)
- P W Millard, The law relating to tithes (3rd edition, London,