Prominent people in public life, religion, literature and education are represented.
- There is a representative collection of famous Welsh people including imaginative portraits of the early Welsh princes of Wales such as Owain Glyn Dŵr
- Amongst the distinctive pictures there are portraits of Hŵfa Môn by Christopher Williams
- There is a large amount of pictures of David Lloyd George
- Dr Richard Price by Benjamin West
- Portraits of Bryn Terfel and the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams by David Griffiths
There is a small but significant collection of portraits or self-portraits by modern Welsh artists, such as Keith Andrew, Gwen and Augustus John, David Jones, Charles Tunnicliffe and Kyffin Williams.
Other portrait artists that have a Welsh connection include Hugh Hughes, Thomas Rathmell, Wiliam Roos and Christopher Williams.