The Cambrian Archaeological Association was established in 1846 by Harry Longueville Jones and John Williams ('Ab Ithel'), with the aim of studying and preserving Welsh antiquities. Archaeologia Cambrenisis had been launched the same year, and was adopted as the Association's journal. It continues to appear and contains valuable information relating to the manuscripts, history and archaeology of Wales.
Harry Longueville Jones and John Williams co-edited the journal for some time. Fierce controversy grew between the two however, as the former was a scientific scholar and the latter a romantic. As a result in 1854 John Williams established his own publication, The Cambrian journal containing articles on linguistics, local geography and the history of literature. Its publication came to an end in 1864 soon after the editor's death.