1945, 16mm, 3 minutes, Black & White, Silent, Amateur film, E C Roberts
Footage shot by Evan Caradog Roberts, an accountant at The National Library of Wales, of the funeral procession and burial of David Lloyd George on 30th March 1945. A horse-drawn farm cart, which Lloyd George had specified, bears him to his final resting place beside the River Dwyfor in Llanystumdwy, the village in which he was brought up. He had returned here in 1942, having purchased Ty Newydd, not far from ‘Brynawelon’, Cricieth, the home he and his first wife, Margaret (d.1941), had shared. Lloyd George’s second wife, Frances Stevenson (seen with black veil at the funeral) supervised the renovation, re-modelling and modernisation of Ty Newydd, Clough Williams-Ellis having been engaged as architect.
Note: 'Angladd David Lloyd George yn Llanystumdwy (David Lloyd George's Funeral in Llanystumdwy)' is also available to view on the BFI Player