16mm, 1937, 12 minutes, Black & White, Silent, Amateur film, A J Sylvester
Lloyd George presented this footage of the event to Conwy Borough Council, together with footage of another civic occasion in Conwy - the Mayor’s Sunday on 14/11/1937 - both having been filmed by his private secretary, A J Sylvester, who created title cards using an interesting method.
Bodloneb and its 60 acres was compulsorily purchased by the council in 1936, following the death of its owner, Albert Wood, in order to provide public parkland and civic offices. Mr Wood was a trader in chains and anchors who had achieved prominence in the area, having been mayor and been honoured as the first Freeman of the Borough. He had knocked down the original house on the site and rebuilt it in the 1870s.
Note: 'Official Opening of the New Civic Centre Bodlondeb Conway by the Right Hon. D. Lloyd George, OM, MP' is also available for viewing on the BFI Player: