Skip to main content

Reference: NLW MS 23969F

Hugh Hughes

Hugh Hughes (Huw ap Huw / Huw Huws / Y Bardd Coch o Fôn, 1693-1776) was a poet, editor and translator from Llwydiarth Esgob, in the parish of Llandyfrydog, Anglesey. Hughes started composing poetry when he was young, and came to the attention of the famous literary man Lewis Morris (Llywelyn Ddu o Fôn, 1701-1765) and his brothers. Hughes therefore became central to the literary circle of ‘Morysiaid Môn’ and a corresponding member of  the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, a Welsh cultural society established by Lewis Morris and his brother Richard in 1751. Some years before the end of Hugh Hughes’ life and after his wife’s death, he moved to Mynydd y Gof Du, Holyhead to live. He died there in May 1776, and was buried in ‘Eglwys y Plwyf’ cemetery, Holyhead.

Further reading

  • Dafydd Wyn Wiliam, Hughes, Hugh (1693–1776), Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Sept 2004)
  • Maredudd ap Huw, Diogelu “Llyfr Melyn Tyfrydog”, Tlysau’r Hen Oesoedd, 26 (October), p. 3
  • Rhiannon Francis Roberts, Hughes, Hugh, (1693-1776), Welsh Biography Online