This resource compares Welsh folk dance (Dawnsio Gwerin) with Portuguese Folk Dancing (Rancho). The template in the Powerpoint can be reused to compare any dances. Researching different dances can include learning about traditional instruments and costumes. After exploring both dances, general discussions could be held around similarities and differences between Wales and the other nation/culture.
Questions to discuss
To aid the process of analysing and comparing both dances, focus on the aspects below individually before considering the dance as a whole.
- Costume – colours, different gender costumes, hats, etc.
- Music – instruments, singing
- Dance – steps, body shape, patterns
- Compare - The Powerpoint presentation that is provided as a part of this learning pack is an example of how to discuss and compare two different folk dances. The presentation can be adapted to the dances of your choice.
- Perform the dances. Follow the instructions provided by Dawnsio Gwerin (gov.wales) to learn Welsh Folk Dancing
(derived from the statements of what matters)
- Representing personal, social and cultural identities
- Exploring purpose and meaning
- Social and cultural importance
- Social similarities and differentiation
Health and Well-being