Aberystwyth, 1834

Reference: MAP 5445

The plan includes Trefechan harbour showing its lime kilns and ship building ground. At this time Aberystwyth experienced a period of prosperity and expansion and was also an important ship building centre. The town’s maritime significance is also evident from its “Rope walk” and from the statistics which note that amongst a population of 4128 there were about 500 seamen. The harbour was sheltered by the shingle spit known as Ro-Fawr on which the quay was later constructed, this work beginning in 1836.