Newport, 1836

Reference: Tredegar 277 139/8/14

Newport, also at a time of much expansion, with a substantial area of proposed development outlined south of the town and showing one of the town’s first large enclosed docks on the site of the present Alexandra Docks. The population increase between 1831 and 1836 was estimated as 2,300. The borough, wards and parishes are shown and the Lord Lieutenant of Monmouthshire and local magistrates are named.