Board of Trustees of the National Library of Wales
13 March 2015
Independent External Review
The Board of Trustees of the National Library of Wales at its meeting today (13 March 2015) has agreed to commission an independent external review in relation to the implementation of the Library’s disciplinary policy which led to an Employment Tribunal.
Sir Deian Hopkin, President said:
“The purpose of the review will be to critically assess the processes and decisions taken by Library personnel and its representatives that resulted in the Employment Tribunal’s Reserved Judgement which found in favour of the claimants.”
The review will:
• Evaluate the verdict and opinion of the Employment Judge’s giving specific regard to the procedures of the Library and the conduct of its officers.
• Assess the Library’s investigations and the application and interpretation of its disciplinary policy by the HR function and the Chief Executive and Librarian.
• Assess the conduct of the Library during the process leading up to, and during the tribunal hearing.
• Examine the advice the Library received from its legal advisers in the light of the Employment Judge’s comments.
• Outline what lessons the Library can learn from this experience and whether the procedures that are currently in place are appropriate and fit for purpose.
• Establish whether, despite the outcome of the Tribunal, the Library’s actions can be deemed to be reasonable.
The review should be conducted within a brief and agreed timeframe and reported directly to the Board of Trustees for consideration.
Pedr ap Llwyd
Secretary, Board of Trustees
01970 632 534