These Instructions are for booking your visit to the Library only. You will need to request items for your visit separately. You can do this in the usual way through the Library Catalogue, but items must be ordered at least 48 hours (or 2 working days) before your visit. More information can be found in our Guidelines for Readers.
1. Go to the Booking System (link opens in new window).
2. You will first need to sign-in to your account. You will need to have a Full Reader's Ticket to visit the Reading Room and we are not currently upgrading Online Tickets. To find out if you have a Full Reader's Ticket, please go to 'My Library Card' once you have signed in.
3. Select 'Request' to specify the time, date and any specific requirements for your visit. You will need to already have a Full Reader's Ticket to make a request.
4. Please read our Guidelines for Readers, if you have not already done so. Protecting the health and safety of readers and staff is our main priority and everyone will be expected to abide by these rules.
5. Select 'Check availability' to see when there are workspaces available in the Reading Room. The calendar will show if all the workspaces have already been booked for a particular half-day session.
6. Then, when noting your 'Start time', select a date and time for your session. Half-day sessions will begin no earlier than 10:00 in the morning and 13:30 in the afternoon. You will only be able to book sessions during the next two full weeks.
7. When noting your 'End time', you will need to select the same date and a time for your session to end. Half-day sessions will end no later than 12:30 for the morning session and 16:00 for the afternoon session. If you would like to book both the morning and afternoon sessions, you will need to do so separately.
8. Please specify any access requirements in the 'Note / Issue required' section. These may include wheelchair access or use of specialist machines, for example.
9. Select 'Request' to place your booking. Please note that your booking has not yet been confirmed. We will use the email address linked to your Reader's Ticket to send you a questionnaire that will need to be completed and approved before we can confirm your booking. You can provide an email addess in the 'Note / Issue required' section if you would like to ensure that we have your current contact details. If you haven't heard from us within 2 working days, please contact the Enquiries Service.
Information about next steps and what to expect on the day of your visit can be found in our Guidelines for Readers.