The volunteering scheme is now fully open and welcoming new applications to volunteer.
We are very keen to open our doors and welcome volunteers to the Library. Volunteers will be involved in a variety of interesting projects while adding value to the work currently being undertaken by our staff. From time to time we will request specialist support, but for many of our projects all we ask for is enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.
How can you help?
Public programmes – opportunities include helping with activities or supporting our exhibitions by welcoming and responding to enquiries and the needs of the general public.
Behind the scenes – often this is the busiest location, where we manage, store and conserve our national collections. You can help to organise items and collections, help to prepare for cataloguing and archiving, create databases, or carry out research, depending on your skills and interests.
Distance volunteering – the National Library has developed opportunities for people to become digital volunteers through our new crowdsourcing platform. Volunteers from all over Wales and beyond can contribute to our work from their homes, from community centres, or anywhere with wi-fi access.
What will you gain from the experience?
- Opportunities to develop skills and experience within the heritage sector
- Appropriate training;
- Meet new friends who share your interests;
- Support the work of the National Library of Wales;
- Work experience to enhance your CV.
How to get started
First go to look at Current Opportunities and/or Distance Volunteering to find a project that appeals to you. Read the role description carefully, particularly the requirements and commitment.
Before you apply to us, please consider the following:
- Your reasons for volunteering;
- How volunteering
Having decided which volunteering role best meets your skills and interests please complete the application form (this is one of the Related Documents tabs on the right-hand side of this page). Normally applicants are informed of the progress of their application by email.
If you can’t find anything that appeals to you from the current opportunities then why not register now for future opportunities, we will then contact you with information on new opportunities as they become available.
For all enquiries or to register your interest please contact:
Phone: (01970) 632991
Please bear in mind that the minimum age for volunteering is 16 – but you’re never too old to start!
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 8 (PDF 1 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 9 (PDF 3 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 10 (PDF 2 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 11 (PDF 2 MB
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 12 (PDF 2 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 13 (PDF 2 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 14 (PDF 2 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 15 (PDF 2 MB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 16 (KB 1.2KB)
- Volunteers Newsletter Issue 18 (PDF 1.3 MB)
- Volunteer application form (DOCX 62 KB)
- NLW Volunteering Policy (PDF 179 KB)