About Welsh Journals Online
The Welsh Journals website offers free access to over 450 Welsh journals from the Library’s collections dating from between 1735 and 2006. These include full runs of journals as well as runs with gaps in the holdings. Users will also find full runs of a selection of around 50 20th century journals.
The content varies from academic and scientific publications to religious, literary, music and popular journals. Not only can users view digital images of pages from the journals included in the project, but they can also search the journals content using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology.
The National Library of Wales undertook the work of digitising and making the journals available online with the support of Welsh Government, JISC, Europeana, WHELF and the cooperation of publishers and authors. A team of bibliographic and academic specialists were also key to the work.
While the majority of the journals content is available to users, users should note that some pages or parts of pages are unavailable due to copyright restrictions.
The website offers free access to over 450 Welsh journals. The earliest journal available is 'Tlysau yr Hen Oesoedd', published in 1735, while the most recent issues of journals available date from the early 21st century. The vast majority of the journals date from the nineteenth century, the golden age of the Welsh journal.
The new Welsh Journals website draws together content from three older journals websites as well as providing access to hundreds of journal titles not previously available.
The National Library and its partners undertook the work of digitising its journal holdings as a means of opening up our collections to remote users and in order to use the latest technology to broaden the type of access and uses available to our collections. The hope is that these new methods will allow researchers of all types to discover new things and discovering new ways of using the content that is released. The National Library has been a home to researchers for many years and amongst our new challenges is to deliver services that are suitable for a new generation. We believe this new website does that.
- National Library of Wales
The National Library of Wales was established in 1907 to collect, preserve and give access to recorded knowledge of all types and forms, especially knowledge relating to Wales. It holds the largest collection in the world of journals from Wales or of Welsh interest alongside other printed material, archives, artworks and the National Screen and Sound Archive. The Library is located in Aberystwyth.
- Welsh Government
Welsh Government carries out a range of functions for the citizens of Wales and is the main funder of the National Library of Wales. Welsh Government provided extra funding to support the Welsh Journals Online project, while the Library also received significant investment from Welsh Government to digitise its 18th and 19th century journals.
JISC supports UK further & higher education and research by providing leadership in the use of Information and Communications Technology in support of learning, teaching, research and administration. JISC receives funding from all the UK further and higher education funding councils. It supported the Welsh Journals Online project via its Digitisation Programme.
Europeana is the EU digital platform for cultural heritage, collecting and providing online access to tens of millions of digitised items from libraries, archives, audiovisual collections and museums across Europe. Europeana provided significant funding to digitise and make available the Library’s 18th and 19th century journals.
Wales Higher Education Libraries Forum (WHELF) promotes co-operation and facilitates initiatives in library services provision for higher education in Wales. Its member bodies and their staff have supported the Welsh Journals Online project by providing advice, filling gaps in runs of journals, and making their users aware of the resource.
Information about Copyright
Digitisation and presentation on the web constitutes 'republication' and therefore requires the permission of copyright holders, unless the copyright has expired. The Library has asked publishers of twentieth-century journals to contact their copyright holders seeking their permission, but not all will be traceable. The publishers have also included notices about the project in recent issues, hoping to reach them.
Information about the copyright status and attribution of specific materials on the Welsh Journals website can be found in the ‘More Information’ column when viewing a journal.
- Requesting the removal of content from the website
If you hold rights in a work displayed on the website and object to its use, you can request its removal by writing to email@example.com. Your request will be processed in accordance with our Notice and Takedown Policy. If you know of any instances where copyright owners are not correctly acknowledged please inform us via our Enquiries Service so that we can make the necessary changes.
- Reusing content from the website
All articles on this website which are in copyright may be copied for private study or research for non-commercial purposes.
Many of those articles have also been licensed for re-use under certain terms and conditions.
A list of publications, categorised according to the terms and conditions under which they have been made available, appears below. There is also a summary of the permitted uses on each publication’s main page.
Please note that some publications contain articles that are under Crown Copyright. These may be re-used in websites, documents and learning objects for educational and non-commercial purposes. A full list of articles in question appears below.
Crown Copyright Material
The following articles and items are protected by Crown Copyright and re-use is not permitted without permission from OPSI.
Titles containing Crown copyright material:
- Archaeologia Cambrensis
- Flintshire Historical Society Journal
- Flintshire Historical Society Publications
- Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society
- Montgomeryshire Collections
- Radnorshire Society Transactions
- Welsh History Review
- Douglas B. Hague: Capel Newydd, Llangian (Caern.). Vol. 105 (1956), p. 142-144, unnumbered.
- Douglas B. Hague: Maesyronnen Independent Chapel, Glasbury (Radn.). Vol. 105 (1956), p. 144, unnumbered, 145-147.
- Peter Smith: Coldbrook House.Vol. 106 (1957), p. 64-71.
- Douglas B. Hague: Ty Draw : a fourteenth-century cruck-hall. Vol. 107 (1958), p. 109-120, unnumbered
- Peter Smith: A Welsh inscription in Hampshire.Vol. 107 (1958), p. 125.
- Peter Smith: Ynysymaengwyn, Merioneth.Vol. 109 (1960), p. 173-179.
- Douglas B. Hague: A small bronze pestle found on Mynydd Dolgoed, Merioneth. Vol. 109 (1960), p. unnumbered, 181.
- C. J. Spurgeon: An early Christian stone from Carno (Mont.) Vol. 110 (1961), p. 155-156, unnumbered.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Two Pembrokeshire earthworks. Vol. 112 (1963), p. 154-158.
- C. J. Spurgeon: The mottes in the Vale of Montgomery. Vol. 114 (1965), p. 69-86.
- C. H. Houlder: Dinorben. A hill-fort occupied in early iron age and Roman times, by Willoughby Gardner and H.N. Savory : Book review. Vol. 114 (1965), p. 189-191.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Regional archaeologies - north Wales, by Katherine Watson : Book review. Vol. 114 (1965), p. 191.
- Douglas B. Hague: Excavations at Sycharth Castle, Denbighshire, 1962-63. Vol. 115 (1966), p. 108-127.
- Peter Smith: Medieval cruck-building and its derivatives, by F.W.B. Charles : Book review.Vol. 116 (1967), p. 221-222.
- Harry Brooksby: A twelfth-century relic of Abbey Cwm-hir?Vol. 119 (1970), p. 132-133.
- Douglas B. Hague: Mines, mills and furnaces: An introduction to industrial archaeology in Wales, by D. Morgan Rees : Book review. Vol. 119 (1970), p. 137.
- Peter Smith: Illustrated handbook of vernacular architecture, by R.W. Brunskill : Book review.Vol. 121 (1972), p. 124-125.
- Stephen Briggs: Two Breconshire rood loft illustrations. Vol. 123 (1974), p. 180-181.
- Stephen Briggs: A prehistoric complex on Cefn Gwernffrwd, Carmarthenshire. Vol. 124 (1975), p. 111-113.
- Stephen Briggs: Ireland in prehistory, by Michael Herity and George Eogan : Book review. Vol. 126 (1977), p. 154-156.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Castles, town defences, and artillery fortifications in Britain: a bibliography, 1945-74, by J.R. Kenyon :Book review. Vol. 127 (1978), p. 141-142.
- Peter Smith: The architectural personality of the British Isles : Presidential address delivered at the one hundred an twenty-sixth annual summer meeting at Bangor, 1979.Vol. 129 (1980), p. 1-36, unnumbered.
- Peter Smith: C.E.V. Owen (1901-1981). Vol. 130 (1981), p. 151-152.
- Peter Smith: The vernacular architecture of Brittany, by Gwyn I. Meirion-Jones :Book review.Vol. 133 (1984), p. 160-162.
- Peter Smith: Das Deutsche Bauernhaus, by Karl Baumgarten :Book review.Vol. 133 (1984), p. 163-165.
- Douglas B. Hague: Cardiganshire silver and the Aberystwyth mint in peace and war, by George C. Boon :Book review. Vol. 134 (1985), p. 253-254.
- Richard Suggett: A bibliography of the history of Wales, compiled by Philip Henry Jones: Book review. Vol. 140 (1991), p. 167-169.
- Richard Suggett: Historic Carmarthenshire homes and their families, by Francis Jones: Book review. Vol. 140 (1991), p. 173-174.
- Toby Driver: St. Lythans chambered tomb, south Glamorgan. Vol. 141 (1992), p. 181-182.
- Stephen Briggs: The late bronze age hoard from Allt Gelli Felen, Myddfai, Carmarthenshire, and other recent finds of South Welsh axes. Vol. 144 (1995), p. 37-51.
- Stephen Briggs: A neolithic and early bronze age settlement and burial complex at Llanilar, Ceredigion. Archaeologia Cambrensis, Vol. 146 (1997), p. 13-59.
- C.J. Spurgeon, D.J. Roberts Howard J. Thomas: Salt House, Port Eynon : a sixteenth-century saltworks in Gower. Vol. 146 (1997), p. 117-126.
- C.J. Spurgeon and Howard J. Thomas: Marsh House, East Aberthaw : a seventeenth-century fortified tobacco store in Glamorgan. Vol. 146 (1997), p. 127-137.
- C.J. Spurgeon and Howard J. Thomas: Caerphilly Castle : the Civil War redoubt. Vol. 147 (1998), p. 181-193.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Ludlow Castle. Its history and buildings, edited by Ron Shoesmith and Andy Johnson. Swansea Castle, by Bernard Morris : Book review. Vol. 147 (1998), p. 255-258.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Hen Domen, Montgomery : a timber castle on the English-Welsh border : a final report, by Robert Higham and Philip Barker, et. al : Book review. Vol. 148 (1999), p. 235-238.
- Stephen Hughes: Thomas Thomas, 1817-88: the first national architect of Wales. Vol. 152 (2003), p. 69-166.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Builth Castle. Vol. 18 (1978/79), p. 47-59.
- C. H. Houlder: Man in the Welsh Quaternary /Vol. 4, no. 1 (1977), p. 98-104.
- Bob Owen: Ymfudo o Sir Aberteifi i Unol Daleithau America o 1654 hyd 1860. Vol. 2, no. 4 (1955), p. 234, Plan of Brogynin.
- C. H. Houlder: The excavation of a barrow in Cardiganshire. Vol. 3, no. 1 (1956), p. 11-23.
- C. H. Houlder: Recent excavations in old Aberystwyth /Vol. 3, no. 2 (1957), p. 114-117.
- C. H. Houlder: The excavations of a barrow in Cardiganshire. Vol. 3, no. 2 (1957), p. 118-123.
- L.A.S. Butler: The excavation of a long hut near Bwlch yr Hendre. Vol. 4, no. 4 (1963), p. 404, The upper Rheidol Valley.
- D. Morgan Rees: Industrial archaeology in Cardiganshire. Vol. 5, no. 2 (1965), p. 117 Map shewing the Llywernog Watercourses.
- Ieuan T. Hughes: Lwm Bwa. Vol. 5, no.4 (1967), p. 433, Lwm Bwa.
- C. H. Houlder: The Aberystwyth Archaeological section / Vol. 5, no. 4 (1967), p. 434-438.
- C. H. Houlder: The Aberystwyth Archaeological section / Vol. 5, no. 4 (1967), p. 434-438.
- H. J. Thomas: Excavations at Princess Street, Aberystwyth. Vol. 6, no. 4 (1971), p. 438.
- D.K. Leighton and D.M. Metcalfe: A cairn cemetery on Esgair Gerwyn Ceredigion. Vol. 8, no. 3 (1978), p. 360-362
- C.S. Briggs: A plano-convex knife from Craig y Pistyll. Vol. 8, no. 4 (1979), p. 478
- K.J. Cooper: Rhydir Uchaf. Vol. 9, no. 3 (1982), p. 247 Conjectural diagram and ground plan of Rhydhir uchaf before the eighteenth century rebuilding.
- C.S. Briggs: Historical notes on the study of Megalithic and Bronze Age sites and finds from Ceredigion. Vol. 9, no. 3 (1982), p. 264-280
- John Thomas: Saint David's College, Lampeter. Vol. 10, no. 1 (1984), p. 67. Alms-houses at Ewelme, Oxfordshire (after 1437) ; interior of quad.
- A.J. Parkinson: Wheat, peat and lead. Vol. 10, no. 2 (1985), p. 111-130
- C. J. Spurgeon: The castle in England and Wales: an interpretative history, D. J. Cathcart King : Book review. Vol. 11, no. 1 (1988/89), p. 87-88.
- Stephen Briggs: A review of the archaeological potential of the Hafod la
- Richard Suggett: Ty John Morgan and its roof : the medieval king-post in Cardiganshire. Vol. 11 no. 2 (1992), p. 425-432.
- J.L. Davies and T.G. Driver: The discovery of a Roman coin hoard at Salem, Trefeurig, Aberystwyth. Vol. 13, no. 3 (1999), p. 1-4
- Richard Suggett: The place-names of Cardiganshire, by Iwan Wmffre: Book rveiew. Vol. 15 no. 2 (2006), p. 123-126.
Flintshire Historical Society Journal
- Stephen Briggs: Captain William Latham, topographical artist in Flintshire, 1816-25.Flintshire Historical Society Journal, Vol. 28, (1977/1978), p. 63-69.
- Peter Smith: Myrddyn Bevan-Evans, M.A., F.S.A.Vol. 29, (1979/1980), p. unnumbered, 1-2.
Flintshire Historical Society Publications
- C. H. Houlder: Rescue excavations at Moel Hiraddug :I.-Excavations in 1954-55. Vol. 19, (1961), p. 1-20.
- Douglas B. Hague: Notes on Swansea Castle. Vol. 10 (1957), p. 3-9.
- Douglas B. Hague: Burry Holms excavation 1965-1966. Vol. 17 (1966), p. 34-41.
- Douglas B. Hague: Whiteford Point Lighthouse. Vol. 23 (1972), p. 44-46.
- David Leighton: Some aspects of life and economy in medieval Pennard: the evidence of a fourteenth-century manor court roll. Vol. 55 (2004), p. 29-47.
Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society
- Tomb Effigy reputed to be that of the Lord Rhys at St. David's Cathedral: Vol. 8, (1998\1999), p. front cover.
- Roger Turvey: The death and burial of an excommunicate prince : : the Lord Rhys and the Cathedral Church of St. David's: Vol. 8, (1998\1999), p. 5.
- Roger Turvey: The death and burial of an excommunicate prince : : the Lord Rhys and the Cathedral Church of St. David's: Vol. 8, (1998\1999), p. 10.
- Mark W. Merrony: Richard Fenton's 'Roman villa' at Ford revisited: Vol. 13, (2004), p 12.
- Douglas B. Hague: Pontysgawryd, Montgomeryshire. Vol. 54. (1955-1956), p. 65-70.
- Douglas B. Hague: Additional notes on Pontysgawryd, Meifod. Vol. 54, (1955-1956), p. 160-162.
- Douglas B. Hague: The Old Pack-Horse Inn Welshpool. Vol. 55, Part 2 (1958), p. 125-127.
- C. J. Spurgeon: The castles of Montgomeryshire. Vol. 59, Parts 1/2 (1966-6), p. 1-59.
- C. J. Spurgeon: Gwyddgrug Castle (Forden) and the Gorddwr dispute in the thirteenth century. Vol. 57, Part 2 (1962), p. 125-136.
- Richard Suggett: Ty-mawr in context. Vol. 89 (2001), p. 219-228.
- H. J. Thomas: The old parish church of St. Nicholas, Barry, Glamorgan. Vol. 121 (1972), p. 108-110.
- Harry Brooksby: Archaeological notes. Vol. 17 (1973), p. 59-60; p. 62-64.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes.Vol. 17 (1973), p. 64-65.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes.Vol. 21 (1977), p. 92-95; p. 99-100.
- C. J. Spurgeon and H. J. Thomas: Medieval Glamorgan: an interim report on recent fieldwork. Vol. 22 (1978), p. 14-41.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes :Barry, St. Nicholas Churchyard (ST 1045 6696) /Vol. 27 (1983), p. 66-69.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes : Penmark, Greencliffe (ST 0811 6862) /Vol. 27 (1983), p. 74-77.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological Notes:Coldknap, Barry (ST. 1035 6634) /Vol. 32 (1988), p. 91.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes :Eglwysnynnid farmhouse, Margam (SS 8031 8474 /Vol. 32 (1988), p. 93.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes: old harbour, Barry (ST 1071 6684) /Vol. 33 (1989), p. 72-73.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological Notes : St Cadoc's church, Cadoxton-Juxta-Barry (ST1300 6935)Vol. 33 (1989), p. 73-74.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological Notes : Llanfyrnach church (SS9794 7460)Vol. 33 (1989), p. 74.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes: Margam, West Glamorgan (SS 802 865) /Vol. 34 (1990), p. 94.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes: St Nicholas's Church, Barry, South Glamorgan (ST 1045 6694) /Vol. 35 (1991), p. 89-90.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological Notes : Cole farm, Coldknap, Barry, south Glamorgan (ST 1032 6635)Vol. 35 (1991), p. 92-93.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes : Crynant chapel, West Glamorgan (SN 794 047) /Vol. 38 (1994), p. 122-123.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological Notes : Cwmcidy sawmills, Porthkerry park, south Glamorgan (ST 094 675)Vol. 38 (1994), p. 126.
- H. J. Thomas: Archaeological notes: Treguff House, Llancarfan, South Glamorgan /Vol. 39 (1995), p. 74-75.
- Hilary M. Thomas: Llanmihangel, near Cowbridge : A tale of family fortunes and misfortunes: The first floor hall. Vol. 41 (1997), p. 12.
- Harry Brooksby: Old Gower farmhouse and their families, by Bernard Morris :Book review. Vol. 42 (1998), p. 95-98.
- Ralph A. Griffiths: Owain Glyndwr and the siege of Coity Castle, 1404-1405. Vol. 45 (2001), p. 13; p. 18; p. 24.
- R.O. Roberts: The early zinc works at Casllwchwr (Loughor) near Swansea. Vol. 48 (2004), p. 7; p. 24.