Public Sector Information Regulations
The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015 (SI 2015 No.1415) make public sector information easier to re-use. Cultural sector public bodies are required to be transparent about what information can be re-used, the pricing of it, and the terms and conditions on which that re-use can take place.
Under the Regulations, the National Library of Wales must define and publish its Public Task in order to determine what information is regarded as Public Sector Information.
Statement of Public Task
The National Library of Wales's ("the Library's") Public Task under the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2005 ("the Regulations") consists of the production, maintenance, and use of documents for the purposes of:
- preserving, conserving, and developing its collections;
- making its collections accessible;
- exhibiting and interpreting its collections;
- promoting collaboration and sharing of good practice within the library and information sector; and
- satisfying its operational, legal, charitable, and statutory obligations.
The legal and organisational framework for the Library's Public Task is set out by the functions and privileges that the Library is accountable for:
- the Library's Supplemental Royal Charter 2006 and associated legislation, such as the Museums and Galleries Act 1992;
- as a legal deposit library and as a library in Wales, including as laid out in relevant legislation, such as the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003, the Legal Deposit Libraries (Non Print Works) Regulations 2013, and the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988;
- as a Welsh Government Sponsored Body, including as laid out in relevant legislation; and
- as laid out in its Strategy, Operational Plan, and similar documents published on www.library.wales.
The Library produces, maintains, and uses documents within its Public Task:
- in any and all formats and media;
- in physical and digital form, both online and offline; and
- on the Library's premises and externally, for example through loan.
Questions about this statement may be submitted through the Library's Contact page.
Complaints about this statement may be made through the Library's complaints procedure.
This statement is reviewed every 4 years and is due to be considered again in 2024.
Re-use of Public Sector Information
All information that is produced, or held or disseminated by the National Library of Wales as part of its Public Task is defined as Public Sector Information under the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015 (SI 2015 No.1415).
A description of this information is provided in the List of Information Assets.